December 12, 2010

got cookies?!

 It's a VIRTUAL Cookie SWAP! (thanks to Kimberly for creating this fun little badge! ;)

If I'm not creating in my office, I am cooking or baking- I love to do both.  I am constantly finding new recipes to try- I have a binder with ones I use the most and then the new "to try" ones.  My baking "to try's" definitely outweigh the cooking ones. 

We decided it would be fun to have a virtual cookie swap and share recipes online-
We have a fabulous list of ladies with some hopefully new to you recipes!! 

I am presenting to you... Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies!

(I found this recipe following the hashtag #cookieweek on twitter)  I originally made them with chopped Andes mints for my real life cookie swap and the dough worked fabulous for those as well!

These are the caramels I used- You can use the plain ol' Kraft, I am certain they will work just fine.  I had these on hand though.  (It appears I may have a strong like for sea salt and caramels, Starbucks can vouch for me!) I cut them into 1/4th's to avoid over oooozing out! ;)

After making the dough,  I used a measuring scoop to measure out rounds, and then I pressed a caramel into the middle.   (My fabulous assistant helping me posed for this photo she also loves to bake!)

You then just roll the dough over and back into a ball covering the caramel. 

Here they all are ready to go into the oven- I didn't pre-salt them like the linked recipe called for-



After pulling them out I salted them with coarse Sea Salt-

Just look at that *yummy* caramel oozing out!! 

And lastly- I did end up taking a few batches over to a family dinner and added a cute little tag using Websters new stamps from Unity paired up with a Lacey Squares die from Spellbinders.  I tied it on with some twine, and a few jingle bells.


Here is the recipe with my adaptations noted-

Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt 

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (I used regular ol' Hershey's!)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Soft caramel, (I didn't roll into balls like the original recipe did, just cut into chunks)
Sea salt- coarse

Preheat oven to 350ºF; line 2 baking sheets with baking paper,  I used parchment paper.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sift together flour, soda, and salt; set aside.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars (mixture will resemble coarse sand).  Add yogurt and vanilla, stirring to combine.  Add flour mixture, stirring until moist. Wrap the chocolate dough around the caramel balls. Place balls on cookie sheets and sprinkle with sea salt.  ( I did this after)

Bake for 11 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 1 minute or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.  I like mine a bit chewier, so I made sure to cook NO longer than 11 minutes and to NOT cool on pan for longer than 1 minute.

Makes about 2 dozen AMAZING cookies
  

Hope you find some thing new to try today-

enjoy!
Pin It Now!

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

ooooooooooooooh {thunk} <--- that's my diet hitting the floor. I love salted caramels, I will definitely make these!

Debbie Corbari said...

AJ your virtual cookie swap was such a GREAT IDEA! Loved looking at everyones recipes and totally am inspired to get baking today! :) Top on my list? These caramel, chocolate salty goodies! :)

Eva said...

Ohhh...these do look very yummy and love that your little assistant helped you, too...Thanks for organizing this little swap...loved participating and got some pretty fabulous new recipes...hugs...

StampinCathy said...

OMGosh!!! The cookies look fabulous. Love Chocolate and Caramel together. Thanks for a great recipe and how fun to have a little helper too.

Tiff said...

Oh my word!!! These look totally delish! DOWNLOADING NOW! Thanks for putting together such a fun cookie exchange :)

Julie said...

OMG..YUM! I really want some!! :)

Jennie said...

Yummo AJ!!! Now I need to make some of those... Cute packaging too :o)

Amber Hight said...

These look AMAZING AJ! I gotta try them! Thanks for the recipe;)

Jenn Balcer said...

*thunk* from me, too. These look wonderfully delicious and sinful. LOVE!! Thanks so much for doing this! I had so much fun!

Traveling Mama said...

YUM!!! I wonder if I can find caramels here...

lynn said...

so yummy looking, aj!--cute tag, too:)

the whimsical butterfly said...

Surely they must be GONE by now-OH MY YUMMY! Thanks for including me in this fun swap-had a blast w/ the kiddos!

TiaKeas said...

I've never heard of salting cookies so I have to give these a try!! Thank-you..