April 12, 2011

Samantha Walker Creative Team Blog Hop-and a mini tutorial


Happy April-
Hopefully your April is warmer than mine- and less rainy!  April showers are supposed to bring May flowers, but I am making a few of my own today-

This isn't really anything new, but a twist for people who can have several thumbs when trying to make rolled flowers from fabric using liquid glue.  ;)

I cut a few pieces of card stock to about 1 x 1".  Also, cut some fabric strips- any width, I did try to vary them.   Cover your square with glue dots- I think I used four of the larger sized ones here- Tie the end of your fabric strip into a knot.

Fold the end of the knot under and adhere to glue dots.   Twist and roll.  This is SO much easier than using a liquid adhesive imo- and the card stock offers a sturdy back.  Keep twisting and rolling and pushing down. (really, this is just a knock off version of a make-your-own-gluber if you don't have one on hand!)

Almost done

 Finished flower.

You can always mix it up and try making different flower styles- Here I twisted until it created it's own loop and then adhered, repeat all the way around creating twisted loops.

 Here are several different styled flowers- All you have to do is cut around the flower to remove excess card stock.  You can sit and make these while watching AI! ;)

 here's a close up of them all trimmed and on my card-

And the finished project-I placed all the flowers on the S4-310 Labels Eighteen from Spellbinders™ and cut her C8517-Pink Enchanted Garden Circles fabric also using the same die template.  The very-hard-to-see-sentiment is an itty bitty stamp called Be You from Unity Stamp Company.  The flowers and larger label panel are from her fabric line sold at Riley Blake.

And, lastly, another quick and simple card using her Big Top Birthday collection.  I submitted two to last months Paper Crafts Magazine carnival call, and this was the reject!! :) The sentiment is a sticker also from the same collection.


Make sure to head on over to Samantha's blog- I believe there is a giveaway! ;)
Next make your way over to the Samantha Walker FB page!

Pin It Now!

28 comments:

Diane said...

These are so pretty...haven't tried them with fabric...yet...will give it go today...thanks for the "how to"!!

Jingle said...

Very cute flowers! I love the birthday card!

Michele's Scrapy Creations said...

so pretty flowers! love the card, too.

michelesscrapycreations at yahoo dot com

Jimmi said...

VERY fabulous, AJ!
you just taught me something, thanks!

Guiseppa said...

Love those flowers Aj and what a cute card!

mommyof5kidz said...

Loving the flowers and your card is adorable!!!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh! I've done those flowers with ribbon but it never occured to me to try fabric. Doh!!! Guess what I am doing later?? :) FAB! Thanks!

Rachel B said...

AJ! I love all those fabulous flowers! They look amazing!

Karen said...

Super fun tutorial AJ!!! Those flowers are so fabby and the birthday card is so beautiful!!

Carisa said...

love making these flowers! i also love your card. congrats on getting 1 selected altho the reject is mighty cute too! :D

Jenniwren32 said...

Love your projects, AJ! :)

Alexa said...

This is GREAT. I must try it, possibly tonight, Thanks for the tutorial

Manhattan Mandie said...

Ooooh these are so pretty!!! Makes me wanna make some!!!!

Janet Z said...

Your flowers are great! TFS!!

Barbara said...

Flower card is nice, they must small (a good thing). I am still working to make mine smaller so they will be more in balance with a card.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! Love the flowers--I need to make some more! Totally inspired--FUN! And that bday card is so fab! Great job:)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! Love the flowers--I need to make some more! Totally inspired--FUN! And that bday card is so fab! Great job:)

Lagene said...

Wonderful flowers, thanks for the tutorial!

sharon g said...

Those flowers are all the rage these days. Thanks for the info.

Jess said...

thanks for the pics of the beginning of these flowers. Looks like they would be easier to apply this way.
jgabriel at shaw dot ca

Debbie Corbari said...

LOVE this AJ! I am ITCHIN to make some rolled fabric flowers and am NOT good with fabric + glue (or thread for that matter!!). lol! Never thought to use glue dots!!! DUH DEBBIE! lol! I'm running down to my studio to make some up RIGHT NOW!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Kelly Sas said...

Now I WILL finally make me some rolled flowers because I just didn't like the idea of using glue. LOVE the Glue Dots idea!!! Thanks for showing variations of the twisted/rolled fabric flowers also.

Tara said...

Those flowers are just so pretty Thanks so much for sharing the details.

Btrflywmn said...

Love this, I'm having so much fun on this hop. So many talented people. Thanks so much for sharing this.

ladybug3484 said...

The cards are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Kay Glenn said...

I'm new to Nestabilities and your cards give me inspiration! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

want to make your for you card--very nice!

Angi Rankin said...

Great flowers! Thanks for showing how to make them. I will definitely try to make some myself. Your cards are great too. I can't believe they rejected your cute birthday card! Thanks for sharing!